Quest # 8 - It's All About Marketing
A few years ago, the president of the National Speakers Association said "It's all about marketing", and that's still true today. You can have a killer topic that will help lots of people... but if people don't know about it, nothing happens.
Objectives of this Quest
In this Quest, you will:
- Determine the advantages and disadvantages of working with a Speakers Bureau.
- Consider the characteristics of an effective Speaker’s One-sheet and video demo.
- Compare positioning, branding, promotion, advertising, and publicity, and decide which methods are best for you.
- Compare tech marketing (SEO, social media) with more traditional marketing methods.
Questions answered during this Quest include
- What is a Speakers Bureau? How does it compare to a Speaker’s Agent? (There’s a BIG difference!)
- How do Speakers Bureaus make money? How do you make money with a Speakers Bureau?
- When you’re working with a bureau, when do you discuss your fee with your client?
- What’s “spin-off” business and why is it important?
- If you’ve ever had a relationship with one or more Speakers Bureaus and a customer calls you directly, what is the one question that you must ask them?
- How does a Speakers Bureau market you?
- What’s a speaker’s one-sheet and why is it important?
- What’s a demo video and how do you create one?
- What is an effective brand and how can you create one?
- What’s the difference between positioning, branding, and promotion? All three are vital – how can you position, brand, and promote your business?
Videos in the “It's All About Marketing” Quest
- Speakers Bureaus vs. Agents
- Types of Speakers Bureaus
- Working with Speakers Bureaus
- Speakers Bureaus and fees
- Handling Bureau spin-off business
- Blogging, podcasting, and other social media
- The fallacy of “exposure”
- Zigging and Zagging
- Romantic Dinner Under Fluorescent Lights?
- Marketing vs. promotion vs. publicity vs. advertising
- Speakers’ directories
- Marketing your website(s)
- Developing your brand
(To serve the needs of our members, Pro Speaker YOU reserves the right to add, remove, or update videos on this list at any time.)