Quest #14 - It's Showtime!
The big day has finally arrived! It's showtime! You're prepared - you're ready - you're psyched. But now that it's time, what can you do to ensure a successful presentation that makes a difference and leaves your audience wanting more?
Objectives of this Quest
In this Quest, you will:
- Examine the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of microphones.
- Consider the fundamental differences between a Toastmasters speech, a public speech, a TED Talk, and a pro speaker’s presentation; also the differences between presenting in-person, presenting in-person but being recorded, presenting in a hybrid environment, presenting live-online, and preparing a recording for later viewing.
- Consider some common challenges facing pro speakers and how you can handle them if they ever occur.
Questions answered during this Quest include
- What are the different types of microphones, and how do you pick the best one for different situations?
- How important is the timing of your presentation? What do you do if your presentation is threatening to run long?
- Other than money, what’s the fundamental difference between a Toastmasters presentation and a pro speaker’s presentation? What are the differences between a Ted Talk and a fee-paid speech?
- If you’re presenting online, should you present standing up or sitting? How close should you be to the camera? How should you use slides? Where do you put your notes?
- If you’re presenting in-person, should you use a lectern? Should you move around, or stand in one place?
- Where can you rehearse your in-person speeches? Where can you rehearse your online presentations?
Videos in the “It's Showtime!” Quest:
- Being introduced
- In-person vs. online vs. hybrid
- Which is more important, the “steak” or the “sizzle”?
- Presentation techniques that rock!
- Timing your presentation
- Speaking techniques congruent with your venue
- A/V and other tech
- Handling hecklers, distractions, and emergencies
- Using microphones effectively
(To serve the needs of our members, Pro Speaker YOU reserves the right to add, remove, or update videos on this list at any time.)